the Soul Society
(mainly) Department of Research and Development
|Used For:||Soul Reapers to leave their Gigai by shallowing them|
|Used in Which World(s):||Soul Reaper World|
Gikon (meaning "Artificial Souls") are souls designed by Soul Reapers scientists to separate a Soul Reaper's spirit from a Gigai, should they be inhabiting one, or to evict stubborn spirits from their corpses if necessary.
Artificial Souls are used by ingesting a Gikongan (meaning "Artificial Soul Pill"). The pill forces the soul out of the body and allows the artificial soul to take control of it, operating in a pre-programmed manner until removed by the Shinigami. They can also be used on a body that has no soul, such as a corpse, or even an inanimate object, such as a stuffed animal. These artificial souls possess their own personalities, which can be specially designed to fit one's specifications.
Gikongan is commonly called Soul Candy (also meaning "Souru Kyandei"), because the Female Soul Reapers' Association complained that its name wasn't cute and had it changed. To fit with the more informal name, Soul Candy is contained in toy dispensers that have the heads of cartoon characters on them. These dispensers come in many varieties, with some being more popular than others. Artificial souls tend to have personalities that reflect traits of their corresponding dispenser's character.
|Varieties of Soul Candy in Order of Popularity|
|Chappy (チャッピー)||Yuki (ユキ)||Pupples (パプルス) or Papyrus||Diana (ダイアナ)||Alfred (アルフレッド)|
|Claudia (クローディア)||Gringo (グリンゴ)||Ginnosukem (ギンノスケ)||Blues (ブルース) or Bruce||Kaneshiro (カネシロ)|
|Steiner (シュタイナー)||Momone (モモーネ)||King (キング)|
- Chappy: The most popular Soul Candy, Chappy has a cutesy personality and tends to end sentences with "Pyon" (Hop! in the English version). Used by Rukia Kuchiki.
- Yuki: The 2nd most popular Soul Candy.
- Pupples or Papyrus: The 3rd most popular Soul Candy.
- Gringo: Has a gangster personality and tends to end sentences with "Yorosh" ("Thank you very much" in the English version). Used by Yumichika Ayasegawa.
- Ginnosukem: Has a sly personality and tends to end sentences with "Nyah", a meowing sound. Used by Renji Abarai.
- Blues or Bruce: Is easily frightened and tends to end sentences with "Uho" ("ook" in the English version). Used by Ikkaku Madarame.
- Momone: Is a pervert and tends to end sentences with "Besh" ("Shall I?" in the English version). Used by Rangiku Matsumoto.
- King: Is diligent, but stupid. Talks about "Probability". Used by Toshiro Hitsugaya.